Today's 5QFriday is with my mom! Welcome to Real Life, Real Laughter, Denise Weiner! Who better to kick off the series on my blog about motherhood?
|My mom and my older daughter, Rebecca, on our annual family summer vacation|
As a mom raising two daughters in the late 70's and 80's, I knew she'd have a different perspective than all the moms I know raising kids now. So here are her answers for 5QFriday!
- What are the biggest differences you notice between when you were raising us and watching us raise our children now? Raising kids in the late 70s/80s meant the kids could be kids. They played outside alone, rode bikes through the neighborhood and beyond, ate food without reviewing nutrition information on food labels, did homework on their own and we did not feel compelled to schedule activities for them 24/7.
- Best moments / memories as a mom? The best moments as a mom are watching your children become their own person; appreciate each moment and milestone... It all passes in the blink of an eye!
- What parenting "cliche" resonates the most with you? "Give your kids roots and wings"
- Worst thing a parenting could do? Do not try and control the destiny of your children. Each one beats to his/her own drum and it is not up to us to shape their lives!
- Your best advice for moms today? Cherish each moment and realize the honor and privilege you have been given to watch your children grow and be part of their lives.