Friday, June 5, 2015

5QFriday- With a Stay-at-Home Mompreneur -- My Sister!

It's time for another 5QFriday - this time we are keeping it in the fam with my sister, Lauren Baker! All my life I have looked up to Lauren - she was five years older and light years cooler than me, and I followed her around trying to be exactly like her. Five years is quite an age difference, and for most of our childhood years we were at very different stages - and as anyone who knows us know, we are as different as different could be - but we played together as sisters do, making up games, jokes and stories that entertained us for hours.

Once she went away to college and I started high school we became friends by choice, and we have grown even closer ever since she had her children and now I had mine. 

She started her company, Sew Scrumptious, years ago, and as she tells below, it just took off from there. The personalized gifts she has made my girls are some of our favorite pieces of clothing, and the way she has taught herself everything she knows is so inspirational. Now, here are her answers to my 5Qs about being a stay-at-home mompreneur!


  1. What led you to create SewScrumptiousBefore I had children I couldn't wait to have kids and be a stay at home mom. When that became my life I realized I wasn't happy being the family consumer. I missed making money and wanted to create a flexible opportunity centered around something I truly enjoyed. I always liked giving thoughtful, handmade gifts and this business would allow me to do that for others on a much larger scale. The website went live shortly after Amanda's second birthday. 
  2. How have you balanced SewScrumptious and its needs / time demands with being a stay-at-home mom?   The balance is a daily struggle. My responsibilities to my family force me to limit my business hours often. This has improved since Ryan started kindergarten last fall but challenges remain. Other than some pop up boutiques I participate in, that require me to leave the house early and make sure to arrange babysitters or play dates for after school, the business comes second. That's the great part about what I have created- it's in the house and on my terms. That's essentially what allows it to exist as even my terms are not always within my control. You can bet that if I promise a quick turnaround on an order or wait until the last minute someone will be home sick from school or there will be a snow day.  I tend to get my best work done when everyone has gone to bed and the house is quiet! 
  3. What has surprised you the most about starting your own business? I am really surprised what I am capable of! I am so proud that I have created a loyal following and that I create gifts that people truly want to give. The business has evolved over the years and it has been both challenging and fun to learn about new equipment, generate creative ideas and share it all with my customers. Can't wait to see what the future holds in store for Sew Scrumptious (with your help, Les)! [Editor’s Note: Woot woot! Get ready to see Sew Scrumptious everywhere soon….]
  4. What is the best advice you have for a mom who is considering starting a business? I would say, go for it! It has been amazing to see my tiny idea turn into something real. There will always be reasons not to do it. But, if you really want it, technology makes it easier than ever to create and maintain a business presence. You will figure out how to make it work because you will be passionate about it!
  5. What is the best parenting advice you've ever received? Not advice as much as words of wisdom. I was playing with my son outside when a neighbor walking her dog smiled at us and said, "The days are long but the years are short." It's amazing how true this is and I remind myself of this often.  You have to savor each day- the stages pass so fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment